Happy PlayStation Day! Some Facts and FiguresSony hosted a special 'PlayStation Day' in London yesterday (6th May 2008) in order to inform European journalists on all things PlayStation related. This included recaps on what has happened, facts and figures and some insights into new things coming soon (like Resistance 2 - ooh yeah baby, LittleBigPlanet, Mirror's Edge and Killzone 2). Here is a cut down list of some interesting things mentioned during the event...
- By the end of 2007, 10.5 million PS3 consoles had been sold (over 5 million in Europe) and 127 million PS2 consoles (48 million in Europe). Since December there has been a huge increase in PS3 sales but those figures won't be out until next week.
EDIT 16th May: The figures are out and the PS3 sales now stand at 12.8 million. This is actual 'over-the-counter' sales and not just numbers shipped to stores. The number of software titles sold is almost 58 million.
- Since October 2007, the PS3 has been outselling the Xbox 360 and has now overtaken it in total European sales. Considering the 360 has been out 16 months longer than the PS3 this is impressive news indeed.
- Over 8 million people have registered accounts on PSN (the PlayStation Network). Over 3.2 million of them are in Europe and they have downloaded an amazing 57 million items from the PlayStation Store!
- 'SingStar' has sold over 220,000 units and over 1 million downloaded songs through PSN since just before Christmas. That's an average of 6.3 songs per user. It has also seen over 20,000 videos of budding music stars uploaded to the 'My SingStar Online' service.
- Stepping back to the PS2 for a moment, 6.7 million EyeToys, 12 million SingStar's and 7 million Buzz! games have been sold.
- Music seems a popular pass time for PlayStation owners with 'SingStar', 'Guitar Hero' and 'Rock Band' selling a total of 15 million units.
- The new PS3 version of the 'Buzz!' quiz game has wireless controllers and over 5000 questions built-in. You can download new question packs, make your own question packs to share with the online community and compete online with other quiz masters all over the globe.
- Over 1.4 million people have been playing 'Resistance: Fall of Man' online since its launch. With 'Resistance 2' heavily promoting online teamwork and 60 person multiplayer matches it should be even more popular.
- 'MotorStorm' has sold over 3 million copies. With twice as many tracks, even smarter AI and monster trucks, 'MotorStorm 2' should be an amazing game too.
- Since the launch of 'GT5 Prologue' in April it has already sold over 1.5 million copies.
- There are over 5 million Blu-ray players in European homes, and almost 3.5 million Blu-ray discs have been sold in Europe. Almost 1.4 million Blu-ray discs were sold in the first quarter of 2008 alone. On June 26th, 'Men In Black' will be the first BD-Live movie to be released in Europe with extra online content.
- Over 34 million homes in Western Europe have HD televisions.
- 'PlayTV' - the dual HD digital TV tuner add-on for the PS3 turning into a full PVR, is due for release in September for 99euros (around £80).